Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Captain Cilantro & Me

Seriously people, I went out like this in public! What was I thinking and who talked me into this? I was trying to plan ahead for a costume but it ended up being back-ordered soooooo, like usual, Collin and I put something together a few hours before. Usually right when we are heading out the door I have second thoughts but I look at Collin and die laughing then I convince myself that it's okay to be a dork and purposely embarrass myself on October 31st.
I never did think of a super hero name or a clever super power but here I am with my date: Captain Cilantro.

Our darling Lola Lamb.
Beautiful Belle! My friend, Jen, made this costume... and Avery loved it. She loves the songs from our Disney Princess playlists & Sing Along dvds since she's never seen the actual movie. At the end of the night we recorded her and her cousin Lilla, who was also Belle, singing Beauty & the Beast songs while holding hands walking down the pumpkin lit streets. It was a happy momma moment that's for sure.
One of the only times in Avery's life she's let me do her hair was on Halloween morning as we were getting ready for the school parade... next stop, Toddlers & Tiaras. ;)


For a 3 year old who changes her outfit all day long and has been wanting to be a princess on Halloween for months it was surprising that we had to bribe her to get into her costume,"You'll get lots of candy!" and then she fell asleep in the car on the way to my sisters... so she wasn't diggin the pictures. But let me tell you, we were dying laughing because she's a smart little stinker and her candy bucket was full to the brim by the time we were done. We couldn't figure out how she had so much more candy than everyone. Until the last door when we heard her saying, "this one is for Allison, this one is for KC, this one is for me..." while she picked out her candy.
Poor Avery is sad in above picture because Captain Cilantro's boot accidentally stepped on her fingers. The best was my mom consoling her, "It's okay, we'll put some candy on it." lol
And lastly, an ode to my mother, who ingrained in me when I was a little girl a love for Halloween & a desire to humiliate myself for candy! heehee... love you mom!


*Studio Calico & Ali Edwards December Daily Kit giveaway still open below!!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom is precious <3
Love what you guys came up with for your costumes.
All I did was put on long funky knee socks and rolled my jeans up! Im so creative ;)
The kids looked fantastic!
So glad you guys had a great Halloween!!

Bel said...

Avery's beehive is awesome. And let's hear it for the Smurf boy, too. Yay!

Maria Therese said...

Awwwwwww so sweet (the kids that is..haha)♥

Meghan said...

Love all the costumes, there all great.

Capescrapper said...

I love that you and Colin dress up! You all must be the most fun to have for parents! Keep up the great job the girls are adorable!

Jennifer Stanley said...

It's so funny that you have all of these things just laying around waiting to made into a costume. The gold ski boots are hilarious! You all look great as usual! :)

Queen of Bristol said...

Hilarious costumes!!!! Is Colin wearing skiing boots??????

Libby said...

Great photos! The girls are so precious. What a nice family outing.

Carol W. said...

Wonderful pictures - thank you for sharing!

LauraP said...

I love that your husband gets into halloween - mine does not and I wish he would so that we could dress up silly like you guys!

Captain Cilantro said...

Yes, those are my old ski boots I spray painted gold. Walked around in them all night, with the grace of a newborn giraffe on rollerskates.

Grace said...

hahahaaha I love this post and everyone looks awesome. lol Captain Cilantro? Did he carry some around? lol Glad you had a ownderful time with your family. Grace xoox

laurie lariviere said...

those costumes are great, the lamb, how precious!! loved the Belle costume, very well made, your friend has talents, everyone looked great, and btw...your mom is really beautiful, tell her I said so :)

Martina said...

I LOVE the costumes! - but I have no idea WHY you guys have clothes like that at your house! haha .. hilarious that the ski boots s are the same colors as your boots :)

xx M.

elizabeth kartchner said...

thanks!!!

Collin's outfit we had around the house but my dress and his cape we got at a thrift store. My wig at a Halloween store.
Gold spray paint we had so we both spray painted some boots.
I made our emblems out of felt, paper and gold paper + hot glue.

:)

Becky Z said...

I've never understood why super heros insist on wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants! ;)

You all looked great and looks like you had fun!

Lisa M. said...

Wow, Liz, you guys look awesome! What creativiy! And your girls look beautiful!
And, btw, your mom looks like your sister! She is beautiful!

Tiffany said...

So fun!!! I love dressing up! Loved that Belle costume. gorgeous.

Sara Ancich said...

painted roller blades booties and a nike swoosh on his leg... what an athlete that guy of yours is!

laurie said...

those are fancy boots

Unknown said...

it takes a lot of talent to throw together costumes like those last minute...impressive...and hilarious! :) Love it!

Melissa said...

Your family is so cute. :) Love Avery's dress - your friend did a great job!

Unknown said...

awesome costumes! :c)

Nancy Wyatt said...

Too cool for words! xoxo from Conroe, TX!

Tine said...

Cute pictures. I love Avery's Belle dress. One of the greatest disney movies ever :-) Is ur friend selling these dresses? I LOVE EM!!!

Julie Keller said...

You and Collin look hilarious, so good that you can joke around with eachother! And Liz, you look spectacular as a blonde!

Mary in IL said...

And here I was thinking that Avery was just too embarrassed to be seen with her family...you tell us that it was an injury! Uh huh. When she is 15 that might really be the case...lol

Cherie said...

This is hysterical!!! Love how goofy you guys are :)

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

your costumes are too cute!

Wendy said...

You guys are a hoot! I think Avery is just embarrassed to be seen with you all in the picture where she's hiding her face :)