Thursday, February 4, 2010

Spark & Studio 5

Earlier this week we were thrilled when Mindy from Studio 5 (a local morning show) asked us if they could spotlight Spark (our creative event). Mindy asked where we should film the question/answer part of the segment with the 3 of us Spark girls. The answer was easy... Dear Lizzie (a magical little store and bistro. The same place where we had the Spark Soiree & they hosted my Book Party.) It's also the place where we thought of Spark. The 3 of us met for lunch... thinking we would just be chatting... but instead we left with an event ready to plan.

Yesterday I headed up to Studio 5 where they shared our segment about Spark and we talked about 5 tips to Spark Your Creativity. I've been on the show 5 times now and I swear I am still so nervous. My sister was over at my house yesterday and we laughed so hard at some of the funny things I said. Like when my mind went blank... "What do you think Darin?" haha "Shall, I read one?" Trying to pronounce Csikszentmihalyi. Oh, the beauty of live television.
One of the tips I shared was Don't Force It. I explained that something I've adapted into my creative process is to find my inspiration first, then create. I shared a fun idea from Rhonna Farrer. Her 100 creative exercises. She pulls one out of a jar before she sits down to create. They are such great prompts that are quick and definitely proven-if you've seen Rhonna's designs. She sells them on her site so you can enjoy the creative prompts too.
PS Guess what? We confirmed that there will be a Spark No. 2 and yet again we were ecstatic when we imagined the new theme and details.

27 comments:

Rebekah Williams said...

My kind of exercise--the creative!

Glad Studio 5 is giving you a wonderful platform for Spark. Will Spark be traveling this time?

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope tha ti can make it to Spark this year! I'll have to start saving now!!!

Emily said...

hoping that you have moved spark to california ;) oh...come on!

laura vegas said...

i watched your studio 5 segment last night, and i think you were adorable! i think your "what do you think darin?" was a great cover ... i had a feeling you might have lost your train of thought for a minute. lol! and the "what's his name" was so funny ... makes you more real ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh I just watched your studio 5 segment!!! So cute.

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait, I want to go so bad!
Love your new line and all your fun pictures from CHA! So pretty!

Sara Ancich said...

It only makes sense to locate Spark closer to the most magical place on earth...hint: it starts with a D...you were there last week...

don't ya think?

pretty please.

Collin said...

Cutie

Esther said...

I like the idea of not forcing it. That's why I can't wait for your book to arrive on my doorstep! Excited for some inspiration!

Unknown said...

I am saving my money...I hope I can save enough :)!
Love your tips about creativity! Rhonna's jar looks like a project to do this weekend!

said...

Pls give us some details about Spark 2? Just a hint? :)

Julie said...

Oh if only i didnt live in the uk - i'd be joining you.
I found your blog just a couple of days ago and think it's fab. Your creations and outlook on life are so inspirational.
Cant wait until your next post.
Ju xx

Darlene said...

How Awesome!

Stef said...

SO Excited for Spark no.2. I give another shout out for California, but of course, I'll travel to Utah, too. Wouldn't want to miss it!! Great job on the show! wish we could watch it live here in Cali. All the good creative crafty stuff is in Utah!

Beth Meier said...

Hi- I am a regular blog reader and wanted to tell you that I received my Dear Lizzy order from 2Peas today and fell in love! It is so beauutiful! I love the colors! I love it, love it, love it! Can't wait until they get the ribbon in!
Congratulations on your success!
All the Best!

Olivia said...

Spark sounds exciting. Have to agree with your 'Don't Force It' tip, I'm currently working on my design portfolio & am experiencing that daily at the moment. Rhonna's creative exercises jars are a great idea!

kelly said...

you're so cute :)
spark 2 sounds exciting for you ladies!!!

Likely said...

I need a link to buy that creativity jar. I can't find it on her site....

adorable video. I have been listening to your playlist while the record breaking snow storm accumulates outside. THANK you.

Tracey Holdyk said...

I was wondering, hoping, wishing, dreaming, sending positive thoughts out into the universe that maybe, please, please please you could do an online version of spark so that us, in other parts of the world i.e. australia could enjoy this wonderful event.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeese!

Donna Espiritu said...

you're so cute! heehee i can't wait to get a copy of your book! oh if only i can attend spark 2.... sigh... :D

thanks for sharing this! :)

simona said...

Wowwwww, what a beautiful experience!!!;-)
I really would like to come to spark 2, when do you'll organize it???
kisses
Simona

Unknown said...

I'm in Utah visiting for the weekend and went to Dear Lizzy. Oh my its fabulous, no wonder you came up with so many great ideas there! Can't wait to hear the details of Spark 2!

Lovely gd Cee said...

im want to go to that Spark- sounds like heaven on earth. belive it or not, i already bought a sunday dress with boots for the occasion- when i first heard of the first one, i thought: im going on the next one. yay so excited! cant wait to hear about all the details:)

Latrice said...

I've watched a couple of your segments. Love them! I hope Spark is planned waaaay ahead of time so maybe I can save up and fly out!

Anonymous said...

Do you have any other pre order sites to link, the one above seems pretty misleading!

Aimee said...

My daughter and I are saving for SPARK and can't wait to go. Please keep us posted.

alicia.king said...

i love watching you on Studio 5, you always do great! i was laughing when you said 'what do you think Darin!' lol! too cute!